I started this blog a few years ago but never shared it with anyone as I simply used it as a way of documenting my travels for myself. I then made the decision about two years ago to publicise it, as I began to really enjoy storytelling and travel writing, and hoped I could inspire others. For this blog to receive any sort of acknowledgement from people other than my friends and family has been very unexpected, so I am incredibly honoured to have been nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award by the lovely Paula from Her Travel Story. Paula has a very creative outlook on travel and captures some brilliant photos- be sure to check her out!
The award is all about supporting and connecting with others in the blogging community, and helping to give them the exposure they deserve.
Official Rules for Liebster Award 2017
So do what you need to do if you are nominated?
- Thank the person who nominated you and write a few words about their blog
- Display the award on your blog
- Write 150-300 words about the blog who inspires you the most
- Optional: provide 10 random fact about you
- Nominate between 5 and 11 blogs that you think deserve the nomination
- Ask them a set of questions
- Write these rules on your blog
- Inform your nominees about their nomination by sending them the link to your blog post and congratulate them for receiving The Liebster Award 2017!
Favourite Travel Blog
My favourite blog at the moment is probably The Crowded Planet, which is run by a couple called Margherita and Nick from Italy and Australia. Their focus on nature, ecotourism, hiking and adventure is what drew me in and I’ve since found a lot of inspiration from their writing and photographs. They write honestly and sincerely, sharing great advice and stories alongside their amazing photography of wildlife and landscapes. The pair have been everywhere, from Chernobyl to Botswana, and I aspire to be able to capture the world in the same way as they do.
Facts About Me
I am no good at this sort of thing so I enlisted the help of my endearing friends and family:
- You can’t cook. You can’t even make toast efficiently – Adam McCall
- You once drove a Citroen Berlingo into a lake with me inside it – Casper Smith
- You were turned down from the part of Dumbo because your ears were too big – Alan Vickers
- You’re a lazy sh*t – My mother
- Your incessant playing of whiny emo music gives me migraines – Rikki Burke
Questions Assigned to Me
1. Which is your favourite country you have visited so far and why?
Thailand. I love, love, loved Thailand, especially the food, the culture and the stunning islands.
2. What is the most epic story from your travels?
I volunteered with pandas in China back in 2014 and that was easily the most epic two weeks of my life.
3. Favourite food?
A good ol’ pizza or bowl of pasta.
4. What is the one place you would recommend everyone to visit?
Koh Lanta. If you’re after a chilled out beach vibe with few tourists, this Thai island is the place to go. Its my favourite place I’ve ever been.
5. What is the scariest experience you had when travelling?
Crossing the border from China into North Korea and having North Korean military search through all my possessions. I started panic that I might have memes of Kim Jong-Un hidden in my bag (obviously I didn’t) and was about to be arrested.
6. That one moment you will never forget?
Stumbling upon THIS on Rottnest Island, Australia:
7. Luxury travel or backpacking?
Obviously I would never say no to a free luxury travel trip, but backpacking means you can afford to see and do so much more! You also get to meet loads of great people through staying in hostels and campsites.
8. Asia or USA?
Asia. This continent is so vast and diverse, and a great place to travel on the cheap.
My questions for my nominees
1. If you could go anywhere, money being no issue, where would you choose to go and why?
2. Have you ever been to a country and disliked it?
3. Why did you start a travel blog?
4. If you had to move abroad, where would you choose to live?
5. You can only eat one country’s cuisine for the rest of your life- which do you choose?
6. Cities or countryside?
7. What do you love about your home town/city?
8. What’s your most embarrassing travel-related incident?
And that’s that. Thank you again to Paula for nominating me, and good luck to those I’ve nominated. Don’t forget to leave a comment with your link or tag me in your post if you decide to participate 🙂